THE National Fire Authority has revealed that a lit diya triggered the fire that partly destroyed a temple in Tuatua in Labasa last week.
Authority chief executive officer John O'Connor said the diya was left unattended in the kitchen.
"The fire started from the kitchen and when our officers arrived at the scene, it had already spread to the prayer area," he said.
"Firefighters used deliveries of water from its fire trucks.
"Only the interior portion of the Gayatri Sita Ram Mandir, which included the kitchen and prayer area, was destroyed but the exterior portion was saved."
Mr O'Connor last week reiterated to members of the community to take extra care in regards to fire safety.
"Members of the community must be mindful of fire safety when using fire ignition sources such as prayer diya, candles and kerosene lanterns because these are the most common causes of fire in homes.
"It is important that all members of the community take fire safety tips seriously and discuss these measures with their family members, workplaces, churches and in religious group prayer sessions or community and village gatherings so that everyone are well aware of fire preventative measures," he added.