Update: 10:51AM NRL players are exploiting a loophole in the current video refereeing procedure by deliberately obscuring would-be tries from television cameras, according to Melbourne winger Sisa Waqa.
The Fijian international had a crucial no-try call go against him in last Friday's qualifying final, before a sickening fall after an aerial collision ended his evening prematurely.
''I got the ball down, I definitely scored the try,'' Waqa said. ''As soon as I got the ball, I went straight to the ground.
''But they said it was no try and when they went upstairs, they couldn't see, so unfortunately they didn't give it to me.''
Because the benefit-of-the-doubt rule does not apply in the same way it did until this year, players can simply position their bodies between the ball and the television camera and it will be impossible for an on-field decision to be overturned.
''Everyone does that,'' says Waqa. ''I grounded the ball but the defenders get around it and block the view so they can't get a good look at it on the ground.
''It's a tough one. I don't blame them. I would do the same thing in that situation.''
The ploy by defenders puts the onus on the on-field official to almost guess whether the ball was grounded safely. If he guesses wrongly, inconclusive video evidence means officials in the grandstand cannot correct the decision.
Waqa, meanwhile, is gearing up to take on a good friend in his 50th first-grade appearance - Newcastle flier Akuila Uate.
''He is on my side of the field. We are good mates,'' said Waqa. ''We spoke only last week.''
Waqa has made one appearance for the Fiji Bati and hopes to add to that tally at the World Cup.
''I'd like to go to the World Cup but I have to get through the season with the Storm injury-free first.''
Waqa is confident the Storm will bounce back from last Saturday's loss to South Sydney at AAMI Park.
''Souths didn't beat us, we gave that game away,'' he said.