THE juice consumed by 16 students of a primary school in Savusavu that made them sick contravened the Food Safety Act/Food Regulation 2009.
And Ministry of Health spokesman Shalvin Deo confirmed the products had been contained.
"The product did not have the name, address and other contact information of the manufacturer, importer, packer and distributor," he said.
"It had no nutritional information, the product name was not clear and the nature of use is not stated either as drinks, mouthwash or cosmetic. It had false, misleading or deceptive representation if it's not a drink."
Mr Deo said health inspectors were still trying to locate the retailers and the main distributor.
"Health officials will also try and iron out other issues like why compulsory details were not on the drinks. Testing and verifying the details may take some time."
The samples of juice that was sold for 50cents have been taken in by health officials for testing, he said.
"They all stated that they were told by the shopkeeper that it was a soft drink. Some bought the same drink the previous afternoon and they developed immediate signs and symptoms just a few minutes and hours after consumption, whereas some developed symptoms later in the day but some other students did not want to be interviewed and examined. The symptoms experienced by the majority of the students were vomiting, stomach ache, drowsiness and diarrhoea.
"After contacting the distributor in Savusavu, we were also told that this product is new and he sold the first batch to some schools in Labasa."
Yesterday, the Consumer Council of Fiji warned consumers not to purchase a soft drink that had been recalled from shops and canteens.
"This drink is packed in an unusual bottle with a spray cap and the size of the bottle is only 10cm. This "soft drink" does not comply with the Food Safety Act — 2009 and Food Regulation," said CEO Premila Kumar.
"This drink carries a label which is in fine prints. The label has no ingredient panel for consumers to know what is in the soft drink.
"There is no information on the local supplier or distributor. Local address is not given on the label but the product is from China.
"While the Ministry of Health is investigating the matter, the council is advising consumers not to purchase this product unless the Ministry of Health declares it safe."