A RESTAURANT on Victoria Parade in Suva sustained minor damage following a fire incident on Thursday night.
The National Fire Authority received a call at 9:29pm of a fire in the Eastcourt Seafood Wine and Dine Restaurant.
Firefighters saw smoke and fire in the kitchen upon arrival. They used water from two fire trucks to put out the fire and stopped it from spreading to other parts of the restaurant and neighbouring shops on Victoria Pde.
Customers in the restaurant at the time of the incident were evacuated safely.
NFA's preliminary investigation revealed the fire started as a result of unattended cooking.
"The fire incident in the restaurant could have been avoided if the staff had not left their cooking unattended," said authority CEO John O'Connor.
He reiterated NFA's advice for business owners to ensure they followed fire safety measures at all the times.