SIXTEEN students sought medical treatment after consuming what is believed to be a new soft drink.
Confirming this, Health Ministry spokesman Shalvin Deo said the students bought the drink for $0.50 cents from a retail shop in Savusavu.
"The students said they were informed by the shopkeeper that it was a soft drink. Some other students also bought the same drink the previous afternoon," said Mr Deo.
He said some of the students developed complications soon after consumption while others experienced complications later in the day.
Many of the students vomited, had stomach ache, drowsiness and diarrhoea.
The product, Mr Deo said was new in Savusavu.
Mr Deo said the product did not comply with the labelling requirements under the Food safety Act and Food Regulation 2009.
He said it didn't have the name, address and other contact information of the manufacturer, importer, packer and distributor.
"We are advising the students and the public for that matter to be more careful when they are buying new products," he said.