SUVA City was filled with alarms and fire trucks yesterday morning as people rushed out of Downtown Boulevard to avoid a mass of smoke from inside and around the FNPF Plaza Two because of an internal fire.
Fortunately, nobody was hurt in the evacuation process and all FNPF members are being assured by FNPF CEO Aisake Taito that all their records are unharmed.
Mr Taito said all staff and customers were evacuated as the office was closed for business yesterday.
"We will not compromise on the safety of our customers and staff and to this end, we have closed our office for today (yesterday) to allow the National Fire Authority to completes its assessment of the building (specifically Plaza Two, Downtown Boulevard office space is fully occupied by the FNPF, six food court tenants and several private tenants)," Mr Taito said.
"We would like to assure all our members that all records are safe."
The CEO noted that Plaza One was not affected by the incident.
"We hope to fully resume all services to our members and customers tomorrow (today), pending NFA's clearance. We apologise to our members for the inconvenience this has caused but we reiterate that we will not compromise on the safety of both external and internal customers," Mr Taito said.
NFA CEO John O'Connor said in an interview that although there was panic, the fire was put out before any major damage was done.
"Some heavy smoke was coming out of the exhaust chimney right on the top floor and by the time our team arrived there, they noticed the smoke was becoming heavier. We found out that the exhaust fan from the restaurant area was on fire because of some accumulation of fat from the exhaust system," Mr O'Connor explained.
NFA is continuing investigations.