FIRE officers and residents of Solovi in Nadi fought off a raging bushfire that threatened about 10 houses and FEA powerlines earlier this week.
The Fiji Times was at the scene on Monday afternoon as house owners armed themselves with buckets of water and water hoses to douse the fire, the cause of which remains undetermined.
According to authority CEO John O'Connor, the incident reflected the dangers behind bushfires and the risks they posed to community members and infrastructure.
Mr O'Connor said such incidents were common in the West, especially during the dry season.
"On Tuesday, in Lautoka alone, we attended to two bushfires that were quite large and took a while to contain," he said.
"We step in when things get out of control but for this sort of thing to be stopped, it will be up to the community members.
"All we can do is keep raising awareness of the issue and hope people stop starting these fires."
Mr O'Connor said the NFA had been working with the police in investigating fires that caused structural damage.
"Out of control bushfires are very hard to contain and the dangers and risks they pose to people and structures are many.
"That is why we work with the police on some of our investigations to determine who and what started the fire."
Mr O'Connor revealed the number of bush and rubbish fires attended to by the authority rose significantly in the past month.
"At the end of July, we recorded 104 bush and rubbish fires across the country. Now the figure stands at about 300."