THE Labasa Town Council has received only one case of food-borne illness as a direct result of food consummation in eateries and restaurants.
This was revealed at a hygiene practice and food establishment grading workshop by the council's assistant health inspector Newal Naidu.
He told restaurant owners at the workshop that even though the incident was not common, it was alarming because it confirmed that food-borne diseases were real.
"According to WHO global figures, 76 million become ill every year and 325,000 hospitalised while 500 people died as a result of food-borne diseases," he said.
"As restaurant operators, we have an onus of ensuring that our food preparation processes are hygienic.
"Food can be contaminated physically, chemically and biologically."
Mr Naidu said they continued to receive reports of foreign material being discovered in food sold in shops and other outlets.
"We will conduct inspections on a monthly basis to ensure eateries are up to standard and fit for the preparation and handling of food for consumption.
"The workshop is aimed at ensuring safe procedures are applied during the receiving, storing, preparing and serving of food in restaurants and eateries."