FIJIANS living in Wellington, New Zealand, are safe following a 6.6 magnitude earthquake that caused widespread destruction to the South Island and lower North Island on Friday.
Speaking to The Fiji Times, former Fiji resident Avinash Chand said he was safe but frightened after seeing the widespread damage the earthquake caused.
Mr Chand, who is originally from Suva, said he was at work when the earthquake struck.
"The earthquake was quite frightening. The building shook for about two to three seconds. I was at work going for my handover," he said.
Mr Chand said he quickly took cover under a table when the building he was in started shaking.
"I ran and got myself under the table. There were a lot of aftershocks as well after the earthquake," he said.
According to the New Zealand Herald, the earthquake occurred at 2.31pm at a depth of 8km, 3km shallower than the magnitude 6.5 quake which hit the Cook Strait last month.
It said the quake was centred just off Seddon at the top of the South Island, causing significant damage to houses and infrastructure in the region.
In Wellington, hundreds of commuters were left stranded, with the rail network crippled and 11 commuter trains stuck between platforms for up to an hour.
The mass exodus from the city also caused traffic chaos in the suburbs as drivers tried to avoid the motorway and got home via back streets.