Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 6:02 PM on Friday 18 April

/ Front page / News

Early morning scare at CWM Hospital

Tevita Vuibau
Wednesday, May 15, 2013

QUICK action by firefighters of the NFA and staff members of CWM Hospital averted a potentially dangerous morning fire at the hospital yesterday.

NFA spokesman Ritesh Kumar said a fire emergency call was received at 10.30am.

"The fire crew arrived at 1033hrs and saw the smoke coming out of the standby generator, vacuum plant motor and the oxygen building which is located next to the Accident & Emergency Department of the CWM Hospital," Mr Kumar said.

"The fire crew used the fire extinguisher to fully extinguish the fire that had started from the vacuum plant motor and stopped a potential fire disaster from happening in the CWM Hospital."

However, hospital superintendent Jemesa Tudravu said there was no fire.

He said it was only an overheating of the suction compressor producing a lot of black smoke.

"Overheating of the suction compressor is the cause of the excessive black smoke," Mr Tudravu said.

"The damage to the overheated compressor is currently being assessed. There was no damage to the room or the second compressor which is located beside the first compressor."