ANOTHER family of seven is homeless in Bangladesh, Bulileka outside Labasa Town, after fire gutted their three-bedroom corrugated iron and timber house early this week.
Bulileka housewife Anita Devi said she was at a neighbour's house on Monday to get some chillies to cook with her lunch when she heard cries from another neighbour.
Ms Devi, 43, could not believe the fire broke out at her home because she had just walked out five minutes earlier.
"I thought an argument broke out between my neighbours but then I saw heavy black smoke billowing from my roof. When I heard them shouting, I ran towards my house to investigate the source of the alarm but midway to our house, I saw smoke coming out of it and knew that our house had caught fire," she said.
"In my panic, I fainted. I woke up to see the whole structure razed with my neighbours standing around our compound and that is the last thing that I remember about the incident. I could only cry for the house which I last closed and properly secured before going out to look for chillies to cook our lunch."
Ms Devi said there was no open fire in the house when she left and that she was still trying to figure out the cause of the fire.
"We share the house with my son, his wife, my three daughters and my husband. We have been staying with our neighbour and we need to move out and begin afresh some way or another," she said.
"We are seeking assistance from members of the public to assist me and my family rebuild our lives since we are poor and do not have much."
Police spokesman Inspector Atunaisa Sokomuri confirmed that investigations into the fire had begun.
He estimated damage at $25,000.