* Put emphasis on balanced nutrition and regular physical activity for infants and adults.
* Eat five servings of fruit and vegetables every day.
* Decrease saturated and total fat intake, such as by eating low-fat products.
* Reduce salt intake — consume less than five grams of salt per day.
* Avoid harmful use of alcohol.
* Stop tobacco use and exposure to tobacco.
* Monitor blood pressure at home if possible.
* Check blood sugar, blood cholesterol and urine albumin levels.
* Get cardiovascular risk assessed.
* If medicine prescribed to lower blood pressure, then take them regularly as instructed.