NATIONAL welterweight champion Junior Farzan Ali will not defend his title this Saturday.
Ali was scheduled to face former champion Opeti Tagi in a 12x3 main bout at the Naidiri Boxing Promotions event at Nadi's Prince Charles Park.
Over the weekend it was revealed by a doctor that Farzan was injured and would not be able to fight.
The Boxing Commission of Fiji decided to investigate the matter and appointed an independent doctor to perform a medical check-up on Farzan.
According to the medical report by the independent doctor to BCF, Farzan's left wrist was swollen.
The medical report said, "The x-rays were normal. Patient refused treatment (an injection — steroid) suggested by the doctor at the time.
"My current assessment is that he would be unable to fight on the 16th of March."
Farzan apologised to his fans and said when he was medically fit, he would like to face Tagi.
"I am so sorry, I would really love to fight but the hand is the main thing in boxing and mine is injured," he said.
"I hope Tagi understands that as sportsmen, injuries are bound to happen and I would love to fight him one day when I am medically fit."
He said he had been given until the end of this week to recover and to resume training next week.
"I just hope a promoter comes along and arranges a fight between me and Tagi because I want to fight him and he wants to fight me," Farzan said. Tagi, furious that Farzan dropped out said he had sacrificed so much for this fight and gave this fight priority over his family and work.
"This is a man's game and if you can't fight, I think you would be better off flying kites," he said.
A decision on the bout is expected to be made today and its higly possible a boxer from overseas would be called in as a late replacement for Farzan.