Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 9:31 AM on Thursday 24 April

/ Front page / Sport

Farzan pulls out of bout

Rashneel Kumar
Monday, March 11, 2013

DISAPPOINTED boxer Opeti Tagi has asked the Fiji Boxing Commission (FBC) to carry out a thorough investigation on Junior Farzan Ali after he pulled out of this Saturday's fight.

Tagi and Farzan were to feature in the main bout of the Sigatoka Electric Limited-sponsored Naidiri Boxing Promotions at Prince Charles Park in Nadi.

But 'The Razor' pulled out citing injury and has given his medical report to the promoter Mohammed Rafiq.

FBC director Malakai Veisamasama confirmed they would seek a second medical opinion to determine their next step.

According to the promulgation, the commission has the right to seek an independent medical opinion should a boxer pull out of the program citing injury.

Veisamasama said they would respect Farzan's decision if the outcome of the independent medical opinion was similar to the one cited by the Nadi boxer.

"And if the opinion differs to the one presented by Farzan then the commission will follow procedures and take action against Farzan," Veisamasama said.

"We will be seeking the independent medical opinion early this week.

"This kind of things used to happen in the past but this commission has a zero tolerance level and any kind of indiscretion will not be tolerated."

Tagi, who has been training for more than two months now, was disappointed with Farzan's eleventh hour pulling out.

He is not convinced with Farzan's injury.

"I heard about this last week and I'm really upset," Tagi, who boast 16 wins from 24 fights, said.

"I have sacrificed a lot and even left my job to focus on this fight.

"I hope the commission looks into this issue and make a fair decision for the betterment of boxing in Fiji."

Naidiri Boxing Promotions spokesman Mohammed Ali was also disappointed and left it to the commission to investigate the matter.

Ali said they had some options available to them which they would reveal this week.

"We have already invested close to $15,000 on this fight.

"Obviously we are disappointed with this but we have made a honest commitment to our sponsors and we will oblige with that," Ali said.

"We don't want to get just anyone to replace Farzan otherwise it would be a mismatch.

"We have an option to bring a fighter from Australia but it would not be economically wise because it will cost us more than $10,000.

"But all other boxers' part of this program is ready and I would request the fans to come out in numbers and witness some of the best boxers in Fiji."

Efforts to get comments from Farzan proved futile as numerous calls made to his phone remained unanswered.