Fiji Time: 8:23 PM on Thursday 18 December

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / News

Dialysis free for patients

Dawn Gibson
Wednesday, February 27, 2013

FOR the first time, dialysis treatment will be offered in Fiji — free.

This comes after the Kidney Foundation of Fiji (KFOF) signed a memorandum of agreement with the Health Ministry in Suva yesterday.

The agreement will allow, for the first time, people who require dialysis treatment to be able to access it here free of charge instead of having to pay to go abroad for the treatment.

Speaking at the signing yesterday minister Dr Neil Sharma said the agreement would save many people a lot of money and save lives.

"This agreement provides patients the ability to have three treatments a week for three months, giving them time to make up their minds about whether they want a transplant or not," he said.

"Many may not need a transplant and the three-month treatment will actually cure them. However, because of certain financial constraints, we cannot give them the treatment longer than three months."

Dr Sharma confirmed the current budget for the one-year agreement was $160,000.

Acknowledging the ministry's assistance, KFOF founder Deewan Maharaj said Fiji was now the cheapest provider of dialysis.

"In Fiji in the past, around 95 per cent of those who required dialysis treatment would just die, while the remaining 5 per cent were the ones who could afford to go to New Zealand and Australia for treatment," he said.





Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. Justice and sleep at last
  2. Court told of baby's tragic end
  3. Rugby star's emotional celebration with children
  4. Kolinisau: Team was fit
  5. Kalouniwai for top job
  6. Muslim league condemns Sydney crisis
  7. Call to clarify action
  8. Christmas gifts bring smiles
  9. Back to the roots
  10. Kunatani, Tuwai to return in next leg

Top Stories this Week

  1. 7s TV saga Friday (12 Dec)
  2. Under investigation Friday (12 Dec)
  3. TV pair sent home Wednesday (17 Dec)
  4. My boy, my hero Monday (15 Dec)
  5. She's gone but the pain stays Tuesday (16 Dec)
  6. Debate on Bill No. 28 Friday (12 Dec)
  7. Justice and sleep at last Thursday (18 Dec)
  8. TERROR ALERT Gunmen strike Sydney cafe Tuesday (16 Dec)
  9. Clan leader calls for harsher penalties Wednesday (17 Dec)
  10. Five-try Fiji forge Plate final berth Monday (15 Dec)