A DOUBLE storey residential barrack at the Queen Elizabeth Barracks at Nabua was fully engulfed in flames on Thursday.
Four families were left homeless after their flats were destroyed by the fire although firefighters were able to control the blaze from spreading to nearby barracks.
Military chief of staff operations Lieutenant Colonel Amani Suliano said they would provide accommodation for the families that were affected.
Lt-Col Suliano said the families were able to save some of their belongings.
The National Fire Authority said a team tried to contain the fire within the flat but failed.
Authority CEO John O'Connor said the recent increase in house fires was of great concern.
"So far this year into the month of February, NFA has attended to 17 property and small house fires," he said.
"We keep reminding people to take extra care but still fires continue to happen in our communities.
"It is important for home owners to take heed." Mr O'Connor said families must discuss fire safety and what each member should do in the event of a fire.