ISTANBUL - Didier Drogba has been given the go-ahead to play for Galatasaray after his former club Shanghai Shenhua disputed his move from China.
"(World governing body) FIFA's authorisation arrived yesterday. There's no problem. Drogba will be able to play on Friday," a source at the Turkish Football Federation told AFP on Wednesday.
Galatasaray meanwhile said on their website that the TFF had told them "Didier Drogba's temporary licence is ready".
Ivory Coast striker Drogba, 34, signed an 18-month contract with top-flight Galatasaray at the end of January but Shanghai Shenhua, with whom he signed on a two-and-a-half year deal in June last year, opposed the move.
He will be paid 10 million euros ($A13 million) to play in Turkey with a bonus of 15,000 euros for every match played. The Chinese club, which had vowed to appeal to FIFA, will not be compensated for his departure, Turkish newspapers said, claiming the player's contract with Shanghai was null and void as he had not been paid for the past three months.
Galatasaray are due to play German side Schalke 04 next Wednesday in the last 16 of the Champions League.
Drogba - a Champions League winner with English Premier League club Chelsea last season - is looking to relaunch his career in Europe and play at a higher standard than in China, with a view to being at the next World Cup in Brazil in 2014.
Meanwhile, it's been announced Czech Republic striker Milan Baros, 31, has left Galatasaray.
"The two parties have reached the best solution in the current situation," Baros's agent Pavel Paska wrote on the player's website. Now we can sit down with Milan and consider his footballing future."
Press reports in Prague say the player's options include a return to Czech club Banik Ostrava, where he started his career.