ILISABETA Varanisese will never forget the night she saved her nine grandchildren from a fire that engulfed their home.
It was in November last year on the island of Yanuca in Cakaudrove while asleep in her bedroom one night when she heard crackling sounds around her.
"I thought I was dreaming but then with my eyes closed, I could feel the room brighten up around me and I felt the heat," Mrs Varanisese said.
"I got up and saw the ceiling covered with flames and I just thought of my grandchildren who were with me for the holidays. I woke my husband who made an exit for us in the house so my grandchildren could escape through," she said.
"I didn't waste any time and ran straight for them in the sitting room. I tipped the mattresses, they rolled onto the floor and told them to run outside. When we were outside, I counted them and only eight were with my husband outside. I ran back in and pulled my ninth grandchild who was still asleep on his small mat in the room while flames were above him."
Mrs Varanisese said although the incident happened last year, she believed it was never too late to share her story to help others.
"Always check all electrical switches and appliances or even the fireplace if you have it inside the house because that's where the fire started in my house," she said.
"I had cleared the fireplace but the fire still happened and that is why I am pleading with parents, especially mothers to always check everything first in the house before going to sleep. We wouldn't want to lose our children in a fire."