NEVER assume that a fire incident cannot happen to your property because assumptions bring complacency and carelessness, says the National Fire Authority.
The advice follows the latest fire incident which destroyed a bure and its contents at Naboutolu Village earlier this week. The estimated damage is $2980.
Chief executive officer John O'Connor said there were 17 property and small house fires so far this year.
Most of these, he said resulted from unattended cooking, lit candles, mosquito coils, electrical causes and arson related fires.
"It is a great concern to NFA as these fire incidents could have been avoided if members of the community had taken a bit of extra care," Mr O'Connor said.
"It is very important that members of the community keep their kerosene stoves clean and properly put out after use.
"You must check and ensure that the entire wick is properly put out," he said.
"Some assume that fires will not happen in their homes but when it happens, only then do they realise the consequences of a fire.
"We must never assume that a fire will not happen to you. We all use fire sources at our homes and as such, the risk of a fire exists in all our homes."