Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 6:46 PM on Tuesday 2 September

/ Front page / Sport

Boxing controversy

Aap
Monday, February 11, 2013

SYDNEY - WBA Oceania representative Brad Vocale has lashed out at the organisers of Sonny Bill Williams' so-called title fight, saying they have "defrauded" the Australian public.

The legitimacy of what was purported to be a WBA international heavyweight title fight between the former All Black star and South African veteran Francois Botha was thrown into extreme doubt on Friday night.

Williams defeated Botha in a unanimous points decision in Brisbane, but the fight ended after 10 rounds, instead of 12 as per WBA rules and as had been advertised.

Bookmakers refunded bets on Williams's controversial win and 44-year-old Botha has challenged the rugby star to a rematch.

"In my view, they defrauded the fight-paying public of Australia," Vocale told Fox Sports on Saturday.

"This fight was advertised as a WBA international fight, I had my doubts as to whether it actually was really sanctioned by the WBA.

"Francois Botha has got just right to feel aggrieved, simply because he would have signed a contract stating a 12-round fight.

"Sadly boxing has been given a black eye again."

Vocale said the idea of Williams, a boxing novice with just five fights under his belt, battling Botha, a fighter well past his best, made a mockery of the WBA title.

"Sonny Bill is not even rated in the Australian ratings. He's never fought 10 rounds. That doesn't qualify him to fight for a WBA title," he said.

"Botha, in his last six professional fights has won one. But all of a sudden they're fighting for a vacant title.

"The WBA international championship is a prestigious and quality title. The guys who fight for the title are rated.


Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. 45 detained
  2. Teen's ice bucket death
  3. Nusra demands compensation, aid, for release of soldiers
  4. Ban assures Fiji
  5. Suburb housing project offers 210 flats
  6. Filipino force defied UN commander in Golan crisis
  7. Accident claims another life
  8. UN demands release of captured Fijian soldiers
  9. Unique desserts shop opens
  10. Family dispute leaves one dead, two in hospital

Top Stories this Week

  1. Van Gaal unhappy Wednesday (27 Aug)
  2. Commander confirms captured soldiers 'safe' Friday (29 Aug)
  3. Police act Wednesday (27 Aug)
  4. Show of support Thursday (28 Aug)
  5. Going Golan Monday (01 Sep)
  6. Dad tells of heartache as son is buried Wednesday (27 Aug)
  7. Rebels take our soldiers Saturday (30 Aug)
  8. Tough but right Monday (01 Sep)
  9. Police assault claim Thursday (28 Aug)
  10. Military not taking sides Monday (01 Sep)