Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 6:13 AM on Saturday 19 April

/ Front page / News

20,000 victims yet to be assisted

Maciu Malo
Thursday, January 31, 2013

MORE than 20,000 people in Nadi have yet to be fully assisted with food rations and home rebuilding, says Nadi district officer Peni Koro.

Accompanying members of the media to various cyclone-affected areas in Nadi yesterday, Mr Koro said only 7000 people had so far been assisted.

Mr Koro said the government understood the need to help all the people and talks had been continuing with stakeholders and NGOs to assist the affected families. "Of the total 34,000 people to be assisted, we have so far donated food rations to more than 7000 residents," he said.

"Our first priority is to help those families that have no major source of income and we are also liaising closely with other donors to assist those desperately needing assistance. In fact, we need more funding to assist the remaining 27,000 people."

Mr Koro said the rebuilding of houses has yet to start in Nadi with more than 4000 houses in need of repairs and rebuilding.

"At the moment the home repairs are ongoing in Lautoka and we hope to have damaged Nadi homes repaired soon.

"We have been visited by many cyclone affected residents daily and we are doing our best to assist all."