A CLOUD of sorrow engulfed the family of young Mohammed Khubeb Khan who family members believe was accidently shot dead in the highlands of Sabeto on Saturday afternoon.
Police investigations are continuing to ascertain what happened.
The family, who are in the country to complete the finishing touches on their home in the highlands, were looking forward to opening their new home yesterday.
Their joy was short-lived when six-year old Khan was pronounced dead at the Lautoka Hospital.
According to a relative Mohammed Nasir Khan, the young boy arrived from Auckland with his dad to build their home at Sabeto Highlands three weeks ago.
Mr Khan said the family had just completed constructing their new home when disaster struck. "All our relatives had been invited for the opening of the new home today (yesterday)," he said. "Sadly we are no longer rejoicing but mourning the death of young Khubeb.
"Khubeb is the only boy in his family and he will be sadly missed by all of us."
"The family now reside in Auckland but always visited the country on many occasions."
Mr Khan said the deceased's dad and other family members were making final touches to their new home when the accident happened.
"The family members were busy cleaning the compound and getting ready for the grand opening when they suddenly heard the gun shot."
"They rushed to the scene and found Khubeb and 14-year Mohammed Nabil Khan on the ground with gun-shots wounds."
"They rushed the two boys to the hospital unfortunately Khubeb was pronounced dead at the hospital.
"We just cannot believe what has happened and the relatives that were supposed to celebrate the opening of our new home are now mourning."
Mr Khan said the boys were playing when Khubeb and Nabil were accidently shot.
He said about 30 family members and relatives arrived from overseas yesterday to bid farewell to the deceased.
"Khubeb is the only child in his family and despite spending most of his time in New Zealand, he always loved to visit Fiji," said Mr Khan.