FOUR families whose home was destroyed by fire at Waiyavi, Lautoka, last Sunday are in desperate need of assistance.
According to one of the residents, Mahen Singh, family members have been sheltering in a shed near their destroyed dwelling.
He said the family members included two physically disabled women and four school children.
"At the moment we don't know what to do because we are poor and our home was not insured," said Mr Singh.
"All our belongings were destroyed in the fire and at the moment we have dug a pit toilet near the house since our toilet was also destroyed in the fire.
"We really need assistance and we are fortunate to have been assisted by some of our neighbours over the past few days."
Mr Singh said he was worried about the children whose stationery were destroyed in the fire.
"We're worried about the future of the four children who are supposed to start school next week," he said.
"These students lost everything in the fire."
He said the families have opened a new account and those interested in assisting could make deposits at Bank of Baroda, account number 91020100010929.