YOUNG Letia Sawau is still trying to come to terms with his narrow escape after being electrocuted by a loose power line near his home at Nagado Village in Nadi last Wednesday.
The eight-year-old boy was playing with his friends when he accidently touched a loose power line that nearly cost him his life.
He was lucky to be saved by fellow villager Apisalome Sausau, 35, who was returning from his farm.
Mr Sausau said he saw a group of young boys surrounding Sawau who was lying helplessly on the ground holding the live power line.
He said the young boy was shaking from the shock while other boys were calling his name.
"Luckily I had some knowledge on how to help people who are electrocuted when I was contracted in the village electrification project some years back," said Mr Sausau.
"As soon as I saw Sawau on the ground holding firmly on the power line, I knew for sure he was in trouble.
"I tried to look for a rubber band to wear on my arms in order to save Sawau but unfortunately there was no rubber band. So I tied a piece of cloth on my forehead and released Sawau's hands from the power line.
"The current was too strong that nearly crippled my left arm. Until now I can still feel the pain on my arm."
Mr Sausau said he was grateful to have saved the young boy who also suffered injuries to his hands and palms. Sawau's dad Semi Natabua said he would never be able to repay Mr Sausau for saving his son.