POLICE have warned parents not to keep harmful chemicals in soft drink bottles as it attracts children.
The warning follows an incident in Labasa involving a two-year-old child who drank benzene kept in an empty Sprite bottle.
Police spokesman Inspector Atunaisa Sokomuri confirmed the child was admitted at the Labasa Hospital.
"The mother of the child was raking the compound outside and the child was playing in the compound," he said.
"He saw the Sprite bottle that contained benzene and thought it was juice so he drank the liquid.
"His mum noticed something was wrong so she rushed him to the hospital."
Insp Sokomuri said parents should also keep such substance out of their children's reach.
He said the child was in a stable condition and the mother had been questioned by police.
"These kind of incidences are avoidable if parents keep close supervision and just keep dangerous and harmful substances out of children's reach," Insp Sokomuri said.