PEOPLE do business with human beings, not companies. And the people are the most valuable asset of a company. Business Editor GERALDINE PANAPASA introduces some of those who have taken up new appointments to drive the performance of the companies they work for.
Association of Banks in Fiji
WESTPAC Fiji Banking Corporation (Fiji) general manager Adrian Hughes has been appointed chairman of the Fiji Association of Banks in Fiji for 2013.
In a statement, ABIF executive secretary/treasurer Rasiklal Jogia said Mr Hughes' appointment was effective January 1 and succeeded Bank of South Pacific Limited country manager Kevin McCarthy whose term ended December 31 last year.
Mr Hughes has over 35 years of banking experience having worked in various areas of Westpac's operations in Australia.
His major objective as ABIF chairman would be to engage the association in dialogue and consultation with the appropriate authorities prior to promulgation or introduction of statutory or other regulatory measures and issues affecting the banking industry.
Bank of Baroda chief executive officer for Fiji operations Pabitra Kumar Das was appointed deputy chairman.
He is an experienced banker who possesses immense knowledge in banking having served Bank of Baroda in various capacities.
Fiji National University
* DOCTOR Kandasamy Angamuthu joins the Fiji National University (FNU) as the new dean of the College of Engineering, Science and Tehcnology.
With 26 years of experience in teaching engineering and research, Dr Angamuthu had worked in Germany, Ethiopia and India.
He is a mechanical engineering graduate with postgraduate qualifications in welding engineering. He also obtained his Doctor of Philosophy degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras in fatigue and fracture mechanics.
Dr Angamuthu believes there is a need to train skilled and qualified workers in engineering and hopes to use his experience to make that change.
* DOCTOR Sitaram Garimela joined FNU in November last year. He has more than 36 years in teaching experience at tertiary level including universities in Tanzania, Nigeria, Malaysia and the University of the South Pacific where he taught for more than 20 years.
Dr Garimela had supervised seven Master of Science dissertations and 35 research papers to his credit. He specialises in nuclear physics and environmental applications.
* WITH more than 30 years of teaching experience, Doctor Anand Tyagi joins the FNU faculty as a professor in biology. He specialises in genetics and plant breeding molecular biology.
Dr Tyagi is an alumnus of Banaras Hindu University and Haryana Agriculture University in India.
He had supervised a number of masters and doctoral dissertations and has over 60 research papers to his credit. He joined FNU in February last year.
* DOCTOR Veejendra Yadav is expected to join FNU soon as an adjunct professor specialising in organic syntheses, molecular structure determination. He is an alumnus of Banaras Hindu University and Multichem Research Center in India. He is a distinguished organic chemist at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India with more than 25 years of experience to his name. Dr Yadav taught at various universities in Canada, France and Japan, University of Calgary, University de Rennes and Tokushima Bunri University.
* DOCTOR Visagaperuman Ramachandran is an alumnus of University of Essex and The City University, London. He will join the university this month specialising in opto-electronics and electronics engineering. Dr Ramachandran had taught various physics and electronics units for over 40 years at different universities in Kenya, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Botswana, New Zealand and Fiji.
He spent nine years teaching at the University of the South Pacific, has over 45 research publications and supervised seven Master of Science dissertations.