FIVE workers at a cement block factory in Lautoka are still without jobs after being made redundant last month because of a shortage in the product.
John Chand, director of P Chand Besser Blocks, said the company last received its supply from Fiji Industries Limited on December 7.
"Our company has been in operation for the past 50 years and this is the first time we're facing difficulties with the supply of cement," Mr Chand said.
"The last supply we received was 21 tonnes which arrived here last month.
"We understand that the FIL is doing its best to meet the demand but at the same time our business has been affected.
"More than 20 clients, on average, come to our shop (daily) but all return empty-handed.
"And of the 11 workers made redundant last year, we have recalled six while five are still without jobs."
Mr Chand said the five men's future would be determined by the resumption in cement supply.
He said the men were laid off because the company could not afford to pay them.
"I feel sorry for these men as most are sole breadwinners in their families but this is a matter beyond our control," said Mr Chand.
FIL general manager Mosese Waqavakatoga said the cement supply was back to normal and distribution to all outlets had started with major hardware stores being supplied first.