CREW members on board the Lau Trader were lucky to escape a fire that damaged the top deck of the vessel yesterday.
Luckily for the crew, fire-fighters arrived in time to stop the fire from spreading to other parts of the boat.
Nobody was injured in the incident.
National Fire Authority CEO John O’Connor said the fire started after mattresses placed on top of a generator burned.
He said they responded to a call at midday yesterday alerting firemen at the Walu Bay Fire Station that a boat berthed at Suva Wharf was on fire.
“When the fire team arrived at the scene, they saw black smoke and flames coming out of the top deck of the vessel. The firemen who responded to the call managed to extinguish the fire.
“This kind of case is just common sense, when you know the generator is on, you do not put flammable material near, on top or around it.”
Mr O’Connor said the fire could have been disastrous because of fuel and other flammable material usually stored in such vessels.
“We are reiterating our call for property owners and individuals to be aware and not to assume that they cannot be victims of a fire.
“The fire on the Lau Trader could have resulted in a huge fire and could have easily spread to other boats berthed at the wharf.”
Mr O’Connor said the cause of the fire on the Lau Trader could be considered as gross negligence.
The vessel is owned by the Lau Shipping Company.