THE 42 evacuees in the Western Division and 26 people still sheltering at evacuation centres in the Northern Division are expected to return to their homes later this week.
This was confirmed to this newspaper by DISMAC director Manasa Tagicakibau.
The evacuees have been sheltering at three evacuation centres in the Western Division and two centres in the Northern Division since Tropical Cyclone Evan struck.
The category four cyclone had left many people homeless but fortunately there were no reported fatalities.
Mr Tagicakibau said one evacuation centre was still active in Tavua and two in the Ra Province.
"In the Northern Division, schools are being used as evacuation centres and with the new school year scheduled to start soon, the evacuees have been moved to community halls and nursing stations in order to prepare the school blocks for the new school year," Mr Tagicakibau said.
He said all evacuation centres were to have closed last Friday, but because of the severity of damages inflicted on some people's homes this had been extended.
"All evacuation centres that are still open in the two divisions should be closed by this week," he said.
More than 2000 people around the country had spent Christmas at evacuation centres.
Tropical Cyclone Evan caused extensive damage not only to infrastructure but to rootcrops and agriculture as well.
Many homes were destroyed while some were partially damaged.
The Western and Northern divisions were the two main centres that felt the full brunt of the category four cyclone.