Fiji Time: 4:10 AM on Monday 22 December

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / Business

Shortage delays complex opening

Ropate Valemei
Saturday, January 05, 2013

THE temporary stoppage in cement supply has delayed the opening of the new Damodar City Centre in Suva.

The $30million centre was scheduled to open on Christmas Day last year.

But the recent cyclone and power outage also contributed to delays in construction works.

Damodar Brothers chief executive officer Div Damodar said they were looking at ways to make up for lost time. "The shortage in cement supply affected other projects as well and not only Damodar City," Mr Damodar said.

He said normal supply recommenced less than two weeks after their supplier responded and acted hastily to provide the materials.

"As one can imagine, developing a shopping centre of this magnitude is not a simple task as it requires extensive planning, marketing, technical input, co-ordination and operational planning," Mr Damodar said.

A breakdown at the only local cement mill outside Lami last month had seen the only local supplier being forced to ration the supply of cement.

Fiji Industries Limited general manager Mosese Natuilagilagi said they had normalised their stock.

"The continuous power shut- down had affected our work in the production (of cement) and it has affected our distribution," said Mr Natuilagilagi.

He said power outage lasted a few days after Tropical Cyclone Evan.

He said cement production and distribution were now running smoothly over the past weeks.

Meanwhile, Mr Damodar said 75 per cent of the space at the complex had been leased while the remaining 25 per cent was for the film company.

He said four prospective companies were in the loop to sign their agreement as key tenants this year.





Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. Millionth man
  2. Lapse of defence costly
  3. Mourinho urges Hazard
  4. Wardens win Mokani 7s meet
  5. Rodgers makes sharp exit
  6. $10m for State coffers
  7. In the top 3
  8. Police raid marijuana farms
  9. Swimming party turns sour, student in hospital
  10. Joy of sharing and caring this festive season

Top Stories this Week

  1. TV pair sent home Wednesday (17 Dec)
  2. My boy, my hero Monday (15 Dec)
  3. Justice and sleep at last Thursday (18 Dec)
  4. She's gone but the pain stays Tuesday (16 Dec)
  5. TERROR ALERT Gunmen strike Sydney cafe Tuesday (16 Dec)
  6. Clan leader calls for harsher penalties Wednesday (17 Dec)
  7. Five-try Fiji forge Plate final berth Monday (15 Dec)
  8. Court told of baby's tragic end Thursday (18 Dec)
  9. 441 new positions Wednesday (17 Dec)
  10. A-G: Claim ludicrous Friday (19 Dec)