MEMBERS of a family in Kalekana, Lami were left homeless after their three-bedroom corrugated iron house was engulfed in flames early yesterday morning.
The family who were left with nothing but the clothes on their backs were lucky to be alive as the fire destroyed their home.
Nemani Savumiramira said they did not expect the fire to spread so quickly.
"It only took about half an hour for the whole house to be completed destroyed by the fire, but we were lucky that no one was harmed," Mr Savumiramira said.
"We tried saving a few clothes and other belongings but by the time we tried to enter the house, the living room was already destroyed.
"We had six children in the house when the incident occurred, but we were able to get them safely out of the house."
He said it was an emotional day for his father as he watched helplessly when his house went up in flames.
"My father had worked really hard to build this house and to witness it being engulfed in flames was really hard," he said.
He said it was a terrible experience losing their home only three days into the new year.
National Fire Authority chief executive officer John O'Connor said at 9.46am they responded to an emergency call regarding a property fire at Kalekana.
Mr O'Connor said the fire was the first to be recorded for this year.
"NFA would like to urge the members of the public to take extra precautionary measures when at home," he said.
"Parents also need to discuss with their children on fire safety measures during the school holidays."
He said there were 95 structural fires recorded in the country last year.