THE declaration of the State of Natural Disaster for cyclone-affected areas has been extended for seven days beginning tomorrow.
Commissioner Western Commander Joeli Cawaki said a decision was made last week for the period to be extended because of the extent of damage caused by Tropical Cyclone Evan on December 17.
He said the declared region for coverage within the extended period included Ba, Lautoka and the maritime region of the Western Division.
"Government resources and DISMAC operations will be concentrated in these demarcated areas," said Cdr Cawaki.
"Relief and ration supplies will be distributed as and when requested by affected communities despite not being a newly-declared area.
"More time is needed for rehabilitation work.
"The supply of water to maritime regions is also expected to normalise — that will mean 100 per cent progress and coverage.
"We will fast track rehabilitation to schools and homes.
"This period also allows the waivering of normal process that will expedite the execution of rehabilitation works."
Cdr Cawaki said the military would continue with the rehabilitation and assessments of individual homes during the extension period.
"The Prime Minister has also agreed for the supply of food rations to Koroboya Village in Ba because the villagers' move has been restricted because of cases of typhoid recorded recently.
"Government officials and non-government organisations are working closely to restore lives," said Cdr Cawaki.