A TOTAL of 195.75 litres of ice cream were condemned in Labasa following Tropical Cyclone Evan last week.
Health Ministry deputy permanent secretary Dr Josefa Koroivueta confirmed their food unit had conducted a joint operation with government health inspectors and town and city council health inspectors from respective divisions a day after the cyclone had passed.
"A total of 195.75 litres of ice cream and products were condemned in Labasa," Dr Koroivueta said.
There was no food condemned in Savusavu, Taveuni and Nabouwalu after inspections by the health inspectors the day after the cyclone passed on December 18-19," he said. "Frozen foods were safe. Almost all supermarkets and retail outlets in the division have standby generators."
Dr Koroivueta said as standard operational procedures, the condemned items were disposed of under very strict supervision and in secrecy to avoid any risk of scavenging.
"These foods are not safe to be consumed," he said. "The public is advised not to indulge in eating or buying any food item damaged due to power outage, even if they are given out free or sold at very cheap price. Food poisoning and risks associated with such food items are real.