FOUR days to the new year and the fire alarm bells haven't stopped ringing in the last five days.
Last Sunday, in the isolated interior of Rakiraki at Naitivi, a home was razed.
By 2am yesterday, the eighth house was ablaze at Malawai settlement in Votualevu, Nadi.
National Fire Authority chief executive John O'Connor said the increasing number of fires during this festive season was alarming.
He said the community must heed advice and take precaution to safeguard their property and lives.
"NFA is very concerned with the increasing number of house fire incidents since Christmas Eve â€¦ two houses were destroyed by fire in the last 24-hour period," he said.
The NFA said a lit candle left unattended in the kitchen area led to the Malawai fire.
On Wednesday December 26, an evening fire also turned a home to ashes, after what the NFA believed to have been caused by a firecracker.
Mr O'Connor said that a firework was thrown on to the porch of the Caubati house.
"According to the couple and neighbours, the fire was started by a firecracker that was thrown onto a mattress that was on the porch.
"Thankfully, no one was hurt," Mr O'Connor said.
He said the community needed to take heed of the warnings being given by the fire authority.
"Candles, unattended cooking, children playing with matches and electrical related problems are the major causes of home fires and yet fires continue to occur from these causes in our community.
"Festive season usually involves a lot of cooking and usually distractions cause the cooks to leave their cooking unattended, these incidences have been known to result in kitchen or home fires," he said.