Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 12:52 PM on Friday 25 April

/ Front page / News

43 evac centres still open

Nasik Swami
Friday, December 28, 2012

WHILE the number of people living in evacuation centres around the country has decreased, chances are that some will spend their new year in various evacuation centres which still remain open.

Disaster Management Committee director Manasa Tagicakibau said as of yesterday morning 43 evacuation centres were still open in the Western and Northern divisions with 1200 evacuees.

"A total of 41 centres are in the Western Division and two in the Northern Division," Mr Tagicakibau said.

He said government officials were working towards moving some of the evacuees to their homes within the next five days.

"The ones that have had their homes partially damaged will be moved out of the evacuation centres and those who have their house completely destroyed by Tropical Cyclone Evan will remain in evacuation centres until their new houses are built," Mr Tagicakibau said.

He said the government had supplied tarpaulins to those whose houses had been partially damaged.

Mr Tagicakibau explained that government continued to provide food in evacuation centres and health officials were also present to prevent the spread of diseases.