FORTY government quarters were severely damaged in Lautoka by Tropical Cyclone Evan last week.
Ministry of Works permanent secretary Commander Francis Kean told this newspaper that work was immediately conducted on the damaged homes after last week's cyclone.
"The damage ranges from minor to extensive damage to some quarters particularly the older ones built in the 1970s," he said.
"Initial estimates (of cost of damage) have indicated that this should be close to $500, 000.
"The Department of Works under the leadership of the divisional engineer works western have already commenced their restoration works not only to the government quarters but also to the Lautoka Hospital.
"Two teams of 10 from the Central Division were immediately deployed to Lautoka on Tuesday (last week) and have commenced work in the area from Wednesday."
Cdr Kean said despite initial hiccups on the purchase of building materials, arrangements were made with local authorities and hardware shops in Lautoka to provide much-needed equipment for the restoration works.
"This has been handled by the commissioner's office and alternative housing has been made for some families whose quarters were severely damaged."