FIVE of the seven evacuation centres set up in Bua over the weekend, have been deactivated.
At a briefing in Labasa this week, Northern Emergency Operations centre team leader Inoke Dokonivalu confirmed the centres had been vacated.
However, he said evacuees in Cakaudrove, Taveuni and Macuata still occupied the centres in their respective areas for safety purposes.
"In Cakaudrove, people are still occupying the 55 centres with more than 3000 evacuees while more than 1000 people are still in the 18 centres on Taveuni. 480 people are in the 14 centres in Macuata," Mr Dokonivalu said.
"So far, more than 4000 people are still being housed at these evacuation centres."
Meanwhile, 28 teams of officials were mobilised on Tuesday to carry out initial disaster assessment work throughout the north. Mr Dokonivalu said the teams were deployed to the fields again yesterday to carry out the proposed work to ascertain the damage caused by the cyclone.