LONDON - Mohamed bin Hammam resigned from all football-related positions and was handed a new life ban by FIFA yesterday, seemingly bringing a close to one of the most damaging corruption scandals to blight the game's world governing body.
Bin Hammam, a FIFA executive committee member from Qatar who challenged incumbent Sepp Blatter for the presidency last year, gave up his long-running dispute with the organisation after being found guilty by FIFA of "repeated violations" of its code of ethics while head of the Asian Football Confederation.
Bin Hammam said he was fed up with what he said were "trumped up allegations".
"I do not want to spend any more of my life fighting trumped up allegations and to focus instead on my family and businesses," he said in a statement on Sunday.
"However, if further allegations are made I will, of course, defend myself in the same way that I did in the past."
FIFA said the 63-year-old bin Hammam sent a resignation letter to both FIFA and the AFC on Sunday.