A WEDNESDAY afternoon fire swept through a six-bedroom house at Waimalika in Nadi, razing the $80,000 building.
Twenty-eight-year-old Sarzana Dean said nothing was saved because nobody was at home at the time. "The house was home to me, my parents and my eight-year-old son," she said.
"We went to town for shopping with my parents and son then somebody called my dad regarding the fire. We don't know what caused the fire and we failed to recover any belongings from our burnt house."
Miss Dean said the family needed assistance. "We have been accommodated at our relatives' house and we are waiting for the investigation to be completed before we can start rebuilding our house," she said.
National Fire Authority CEO John O'Connor said fire officers did their best to put out the fire.
"By the time we arrived it was too late as the house was nearly burnt out, our officers tried their best but it was too engulfed," he said. "In fact, our officers received a late call, otherwise we would have saved some belongings."
The incident has taken the total number of structural fires so far this to 81 compared to 106 last year.