MADRID - Former world No.1 Rafael Nadal is finally getting good news after a long injury break: he is set to return to on-court training next week, his uncle and coach Toni Nadal confirmed yesterday.
"Next week we will be back on the courts, that's the plan," Toni Nadal said in an interview.
Nadal, 26, has not played since June 28, when he crashed out of Wimbledon in a second-round defeat to Czech Lukas Rosol.
Since then, he has been recovering from a left knee injury and strengthening his leg accordingly, and he is now ready to go back to playing, at least in training.
"Things are going well, but the doctor said we had to really strengthen the tendon, and we're doing that," Toni Nadal said.
The coach said Nadal planned an exhibition in Abu Dhabi at the end of the year, followed by an official return at the Doha tournament and then the Australian Open, where he played the final a year ago.