SYDNEY - Controversial forward Willie Mason has re-signed with Newcastle for the next two NRL seasons, the club announced on Thursday.
A Newcastle junior, Mason joined the Knights mid-way through last year and slowly worked his way into form to become a key figure for the club towards the back end of the season.
Knights' coach Wayne Bennett welcomed Mason's commitment to the side for the next two years.
"Willie made a wonderful contribution to the Knights from the minute he arrived, which has been well documented," Bennett said in a statement.
"We are all looking forward to seeing what a good pre-season can do for him as well as seeing him play with the Knights for the next two seasons."
The 32-year-old Mason, who - as a youngster, called nearby Toronto home - said he was looking forward to extending his 13-year top-flight career at Newcastle.
"The deal was done earlier in the year and I am glad all the formalities have now been finalised," Mason said.