THREE remand inmates escaped from police custody on Tuesday night.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro said this prompted Police Commissioner Brigadier General Ioane Naivalurua to direct a full investigation into the incident.
She said attempts were now focused on recapturing the escapees with equal priority given to finding out if police officers were "sleeping on the job".
Chief of operations Assistant Commissioner of Police Rusiate Tudravu said a team of investigators had been sent to the Western Division to ascertain how the three escaped.
"We cannot afford to be making these mistakes and letting our guard down so as instructed by the commissioner, a thorough investigation will be conducted by a team from Suva to get to the bottom of this," he said.
"As earlier highlighted by the commissioner during his third quarter parade, these type of incidents regarding the delivery of service by police officers may be subject to the one-strike policy.
"If there was laxity on our part in terms of the enforcement of security then those who are found not doing their job will be dealt with accordingly."
The escapees are Daniel Thomas, Maleli Sigaduavinaka and Nacanieli Bakata.