ALARMING traffic infringement statistics from the first phase of Operation Blitz carried out in the Western Division last month has resulted in the extension of the operation to December 31.
The Fiji Police Force traffic director, Senior Superintendent Mahesh Mishra, said he was disturbed by the fact that motorists in the division continued to disregard road safety by placing themselves and pedestrians at risk.
"We booked 40 motorists for drink driving offences," he said.
"This is an alarming statistic and when you consider all the awareness programs we have been conducting and all the signages that have been erected warning against this type of illegal activity.
"The fact that we caught 40 drivers goes to show that people are not taking heed of our message," he said.
SSP Mishra said the second phase of Operation Blitz would involve 30 officers across the Western Division.
"This time round, we will be more vigilant. We are not going to tolerate any type of illegal activity on our roads.
"And for this reason we are asking for voluntary compliance and urging motorists to please drive safely and follow the road rules.
"Most importantly we are asking all the people in the division not to drink and drive," he said.
Operation Blitz conducted in the month of October resulted in the issuing of 1210 traffic infringement notices for speeding, 436 for illegal transport operations, 176 for careless driving, 102 for unlicensed drivers and 69 for not using a seatbelt.