PEOPLE have been reminded — yet again — to take extra care to avoid fires.
The advice follows a fire that destroyed two wooden flats at Moci Place in Nadawa on Thursday and left eight people homeless. The contents of the two flats were also destroyed.
An NFA statement said the fire crew extinguished the blaze and stopped it from spreading to nearby houses.
Authority CEO John O'Connor, who was at the fire scene, yesterday pleaded with people to take extra care after witnessing the pain and suffering of the victims.
"When we attend to fires, we sympathise with the homeowners after we see the pain they go through emotionally after the loss of their property or loved ones," he said.
"But all these fires could have been easily avoided had extra care been taken.
"This incident brings to 68 the total number of structural fires this year which is a great concern to NFA."
The authority said there were 90 structural fires this time last year, and that there had been nine deaths from house fires so far this year compared to the two deaths last year. Of the nine deaths so far this year, five were children.
Mr O'Connor urged people to change their attitude towards fire safety and not assume that a fire will not happen to them.
"It is important that homeowners discuss fire safety and preventative measures with their families which should be a priority during family discussions as this will create fire safety awareness at home and educate children about the importance of fire safety and preventative measures."
He urged people to always check that all fire ignition sources in the house like stoves, lamps, mosquito coils, prayer diya and candles are put out completely before leaving home or going to bed.