VEELA Devi and her family are now homeless following a fire that destroyed their three-bedroom wooden house on Moci Rd at Nadawa in Nasinu.
Mrs Devi, 26, said it was only when she had woken up from a nap with her four children to prepare dinner that she realised the house was on fire.
"I couldn't save anything. I just wanted to get my children out and get them to safety," she said.
"I don't know how much we've lost in the fire but that is everything we have, all we have are the clothes on our back."
National Fire Authority chief executive officer John O'Connor said the fire occurred about 4pm and they received a call at 4.20pm. When they arrived at the scene, the fire had totally engulfed the house.
"Again we are reiterating our earlier pleas. People need to take fire safety seriously," he said.
"This is the second fire within two weeks in Nadawa. The fire that happened earlier should have been a reminder to the people in the area about fire safety and its seriousness."
Mr O'Connor said their efforts to create more awareness on fire safety seemed to be falling on deaf ears.
"The attitude of the public is that fire won't happen to them. But when the fire happens to them, it's too late.
"We need to really take fire safety seriously. This family was lucky that no one perished."
The house in Nadawa is home to Mrs Devi, her husband, their four children and two other family members.
The incident brings the total number of structural fires to 68, compared to 90 this time last year.