Civil servants in Fiji have the solemn duty to uphold their vows and serve all Fijians with absolute dedication and integrity.
These were the words of Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama as he awarded the best in Fiji's civil service at the Service Excellence Awards held at Novotel Convention Centre in Lami on Friday night.
Speaking to about 500 civil servants, dignitaries, ministers, permanent secretaries and members of the diplomatic corps, Commodore Bainimarama said the awards honoured a few whose performances were exceptional.
"These are people who have gone beyond the call of duty and who represent the finest traditions of the civil service," Commodore Bainimarama said.
He said the civil servants are the backbone of government, the people who keep the machinery of the State running.
"It is your skill that is delivering the best practice, your hard work that sets the standards for others, your integrity that keeps the civil service free of widespread corruption," Commodore Bainimarama said.
He said the government also understands that there are elements in the civil service who have not measured up to the standard.
"There is incompetence, laziness and corruption and there is no excuse for this."
Commodore Bainimarama highlighted that his government was determined to rid the service of inefficient and incompetent workers.
"If you are corrupt, we will find you and deal with you with the full force of the law," he said.
Meanwhile, out of the 27 ministries that participated, 11 ministries received the Achievement Level Award while seven ministries received the Commitment Level Award.
* Ministry of iTaukei Affairs
* Office of the Prime Minister
* Judicial Department
* Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations and Employment
* Ministry of Youths and Sports
* Office of the Auditor General
* Ministry of Provincial Development and National Disaster Management Office
* Ministry of Works, Transport and Public Utilities
* Ministry of Finance
* Fiji Corrections Services
* Immigration Department
* Fiji Revenue and Customs Authority
* Fiji Police Force
* Ministry of Information, National Archives and Library Services of Fiji
* Ministry of Strategic Planning, National Development and Statistics
* Ministry of Defence, National Security and Immigration
* Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
* iTaukei Affairs Board