MORE than 360 drivers have been booked for speeding by the police's 'Operation Blitz' in the West since Friday night.
Police director traffic Senior Superintendent of Police Mahesh Mishra confirmed the round-the-clock operation along the Sigatoka to Ba corridor had seen 367 drivers booked for speeding.
"This is of great concern because speeding is the leading cause of road fatalities and despite the numerous awareness campaigns, people still don't seem to care about their safety as well as the safety of others, which unfortunate to say is selfish," SSP Mishra said.
"Other bookings since the operation began on Friday night include, 70 for not adhering to seat belt regulations, 85 for dangerous driving and nine for drink driving offences," he said. There were also 140 bookings for illegal operations and five for driving without a licence.
SSP Mishra said there was a dire need for people to change their attitudes.
"When we give out the advisories we are doing it for the sake of the people's safety."
"It's not being done for our sake but because we don't want people to lose their lives due to careless accidents which can easily be avoided by being safe on our roads."
SSP Mishra said Operation Blitz would step up a notch today with focus on traffic infringements and other criminal elements.
The road death toll so far stands at 34 compared to 38 for the same period last year.