THREE families are now homeless after a fire destroyed a three-flat property at Dadakulaci Rd in Nadawa early yesterday morning.
The National Fire Authority received an emergency call at 7:06am and was at the scene seven minutes later.
The authority said preliminary investigations revealed the suspected cause of fire was unattended cooking.
NFA chief executive officer John O'Connor was also at the scene and reiterated advice for the public to take fire safety seriously.
"There has been an increase in fire cases and it's a concern to see that people and families are losing their properties and homes as well as years of hard earned money going up in flames," Mr O'Connor said.
"Majority of the 62 fires we have attended to this year are caused by unattended cooking, children playing with matches, candles or mosquito coils which can be attributed to carelessness," Mr O'Connor said.
"These house fire incidents would have been easily avoided if members of the community took extra care in regards to fire safety at home.
"NFA is again pleading with members of the community to totally change their attitude to fire safety and not assume that a fire will not happen to them. Fires can be controlled and it is everybody's responsibility to ensure fire safety in their homes; to ensure the safety of their property and families," he said.