NELSON Fonangwan was awoken when his neighbour started screaming
Black smoke billowed from Southampton, England, home of Aneta Jedlikoswka
Her two-year-old son Adam was trapped inside house after door blew shut on her
A courageous 16-year-old boy risked his own life to save a toddler trapped inside a burning home.
Nelson Fonangwan was sleeping but leapt into action after hearing the desperate screams of a neighbour and found thick, black smoke billowing from the property in Southampton, Hampshire.
Mother-of-two Aneta Jedlikoswka, 32, was frantically trying to punch a hole in her kitchen window to reach her trapped two-year-old son, Adam, who was knocking on the glass from inside.
He told the Southern Daily Echo: "I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
"The lady had punched the glass and created a perfect hole. She had cut herself and she was bleeding.
"She was obviously hurting but all she was thinking about was her baby. She didn't speak good English and she pointed to me inside the house and said 'baby'.
"I knew I had to do something."
He said the smoke was so thick he was "choking" and admitted he was "a bit nervous" before going into the house. When he brought out Adam, he said Mrs Jedlikoswka hugged the baby tight.
The drama unfolded after Mrs Jedlikoswka had taken rubbish outside and became locked out when the door blew shut. While she was stuck outside, a pan left on the stove started to burn.
Firefighters, police and paramedics were all sent to the scene. She was taken to Southampton General Hospital where she had an operation for two damaged tendons in her hand.
Mrs Jedlikoswka told the Southern Daily Echo: "It was a relief. I was so happy to be reunited and happy he was not inside anymore. There was lots of smoke and it could have been so dangerous. I can't thank him enough."
The courageous teen, who is originally from Cameroon in west Africa, is studying health and social care, maths, English and physical education. His principal Alice Wrighton said: "We're all so proud of Nelson for his brave actions."