THE National Fire Authority (NFA) is seriously concerned about the recent spate of house fires in the country.
Chief executive officer John O'Connor said it was apparent that people were not taking heed of advice from the NFA that had been widely distributed through the various media networks.
He also said some people's behaviour and attitude towards fires could be likened to negligence.
He made note of an incident that occurred at Baro Settlement near Korovuto in Nadi which resulted in the death of a one-year-old baby on Friday.
"The tragic death of a one-year-old baby girl is the ninth property fire death and the fifth death involving young children this year which now brings the number of structural fire incidents so far this year to 59," said Mr O'Connor.
What was even more alarming, he said, was the recent surge in homes going up in flames despite incidents being highlighted on television, through radio and in newspapers.
"Despite the continued destruction of properties and loss of lives as a result of fires, some people continue to ignore the importance of fire safety and ignore advice continually given by NFA. It is important for people to always check that all fire ignition sources in the house like stoves, lamps, mosquito coils, prayer diya or candles are put out completely as a safety measure before leaving their home or going to bed to avoid the risk of fire incidents," Mr O'Connor said.
"These are common causes of home fires. These simple measures can help avoid the unnecessary burning down of homes and we urge the public to please take heed of this advice."